Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Workout Refresher: Fruity Coconut Water


It might be a health craze, but I love me some coconut water. My cardio routine is hardly marathon worthy so I avoid drinking anything that overcompensates. Coconut water is a natural source that is rich in potassium without all the crazy bells and whistles of a sports drink. There was a phase in college when I thought Gatorade was like orange juice until I realized there was direct correlation between sleeping poorly and having a bottle before bed. Smart, right?

At some point in time, I was inspired to make a concoction of blending coconut water, bananas, and frozen berries. It was absolutely delicious and a real thirst quencher drenched in potassium and antioxidants. The beauty is there are no necessary guidelines. The hubby prefers an almost water-like consistency so we skip the banana. His favorite combination is a handful of mixed berries blended with coconut water; a close second is an even mix of frozen mango/pineapple. I'm eager to try these versions from The Chic Site but honestly, we love it because it can be thrown in the blender with minimal thought!

And remember, not all coconut waters are created equal. I'm always searching for the highest potassium count for the hydration benefits and the pinkest color for the best flavor. Check the labels and compare!

Fruity Coconut Water

1/2 cup of frozen mixed berries
14 ounces of coconut water

Blend until berries are finely chopped; it may be a bit frothy at the top which is fine!

If you prefer a thicker consistency, drop a dollop of plain yogurt, a couple ice cubes, a frozen banana, or more fruit.

If you prefer a thinner consistency, add a splash of water or juice.