Monday, April 14, 2014

Easy, Vegan Cinnamon Rolls



This past winter, Northern Virginia was hit with a couple of snow storms. I love working from home when the ground is covered in a blanket of white. It's soothing and gives the day a more organic pace. If there's a moment of calm, I can spend some quality time with Autumn, run a load of laundry, or become fixated on a recipe. 

Case in point... these vegan cinnamon rolls.



The lure of cinnamon rolls with only one hour of rising threw my brain for a loop. What devil trickery is this? That's at least half of the time of a regular cinnamon bun! That means they can be in my tummy in half the time! It's simply not possible. 

And, to a degree, I was right.

Fresh out of the oven, they are exactly how they should be; fluffy, light, and irresistible. The ingredient list is short and to the point (yeast, almond milk, flour, cinnamon, sugar, salt, and butter). They can be topped with the frosting of your choice. I stuck with a glaze of pure honey to keep things simple and light. Mike was ecstatic and tore in immediately.



One hour later, I kid you not, they were already getting hard. We're talking smack them with a knife and there was a thud sound kind of hard. In an earnest effort to hold onto that magic, I popped them into the microwave but they were a pale glimmer of their former beauty. Sigh. Give them a try and let me know if you had the same results. 

Make these cinnamon rolls when you have a few friends or family on deck to help destroy all nine cinnamon rolls in one fresh-out-of-the-oven blissful sitting. The recipe is from the Minimalist Baker's Easy Cinnamon Rolls. This site is filled with lovely goodies so check it out!